About Columbine | How To Plant And Care | Flowering Season
In this post, we will know about Columbine flowering plants
- About columbine plant
- How to plant seeds at home
- How to care for plants
- Flowering season
About Columbine Plant: Columbine is a perennial flowering plant, and it has many types of verities like A. Caerulea, Canadensis, Hybrida, Vulgaris, and Swan Burgundy. The most popular verities are Swan Burgundy and Canadensis. The scientific name of Columbine is Aquilegia, and it belongs to the Ranunculaceae family have 60+ different types of species available worldwide. Over time, Columbine plants grow up to 20 to 30 inches tall with spread up to 15 inches.
How to Plant Seeds at Home: We have two methods for plantation, one is by using seeds, and another is by using its cutting. Both methods are simple with minimum care. Columbine seeds are black with a round shape of 1 to 2 mm long. In a single flower, 15 to 20 seeds are available. Seeds are easily available in local nurseries or online stores. Winter is the best time for seedlings.
Prepare a Soil Potting & Planting Seeds: To make a soil potting, take well-drained garden soil (50%), sand (30%), and vermicompost (20%). Mix it well and take a 7-8 inches flowerpot with a depth of 6 inches.
- Fill the soil mixture into the flowerpot.
- Please take out the columbine seeds and spray them on the soil potting.
- Cover all the seeds with soil mixture and give water properly.
- Place the flowerpot in the shaded area.
Within 6 to 8 days of the plantation, germination starts from the seeds, and tiny leaves and stems appear from the seeds (plants size maybe 10 to 20 mm long). Suppose the plants grow up to 6 to 8 inches, then transplant plants with separate flowerpots. Keep moisture in the soil potting during the germination period but don’t overwater.
Best Tips While Panting
- USDA hardiness zone should be 3-9, and the soil mixture should be slightly acidic to neutral.
- In a flowerpot, make sure drainage holes are available or not. If there are no holes at the surface, then make 5 to 9 holes (Drainage holes are necessary).
- Cover the holes with a grenade or stones.
- Use ceramic or clay flowerpot.
- The distance between the seeds should be 1 to 2 inches and don’t overlap the seeds.
Transplantation Tips: For transplantation, make the same soil mixture with 50gm of perlite and 50gm pesticide liquid. Use an 8-8 inches flower pot and place the plants in full sunlight.
How to Care for Plants
- Watering: For best growth, always maintain the moisture in the soil potting (during the summer season), and during the winter season, give water after 2 to 3 days but don’t overwater.
- Temperature: For best results, keep the plants in semi-shaded locations (where the sunlight is good). During the winter season, keep the plants in full sunlight. Always save the Columbine in heavy temperatures (above 25°C) and heavy rain.
- Best Fertilizer: Before the growing season, fertilizer is necessary, and columbine plants need liquid fertilizer with 2 to 3 layers of soil—liquid fertilizer like NPK 19-19-19 and Fox farm fertilizer.
- Pruning: Pruning and cutting are necessary before the growing season. Cut the faded flowers, unwanted branches, head stems, and dry leaves. Always use the gardening cutter.
- Pests & Diseases: Over time, if any types of insects (powdery mildew and mealybugs) and diseases are attacks the plants, then don’t forget to spray medicine on the plants.
Flowering Season: Within 3 to 4 months, flowers start blooming on the plant, and flower colours are red, white, pink, yellow, and bi-coloured with different shade colours. Flowers have two layers; one layer has 5 to 6 petals and another layer round shape layer. Round shape layers are different in colour. Flowers grow up to 2 to 3 inches with spread up to 3 inches.
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and subscribe to my newsletter for the instant update 🙂
Click to Read More Interesting Post 🙂
Choose Your Favourite Tag 🙂
air purifying plants almonds aloevera Bougainvillaea broccoli Cardamom carrot cauliflower Cultivation or farming Daisy flowering plant Dark green chilli Dry fruits Flower plants Fruit plants Gardening hacks Gardening ideas Genus tree Green chilli hanging plants health Indoor flowering plants latest plants latest posts Lilies onion Outdoor flowering plants pea peace lily peony perennial plants plantation ideas plants sacred tree Save Plants in rainy season spices spices and herbs summer flower caring summer flower plants Summer fruit plants sunflower tips and tricks tree vegetables vine winter flower plants