Plum – How to Grow Seeds at Home | Top 5 Miracles | Caring
Welcome to another post of GardenOnTop. In the post, we will know all about the plum tree and small plum plants with some miracles.
- About plum fruit
- How to grow plum seeds at home
- How to manage plum plant at home
- Top 5 miracles, after planting
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Plum – Popular Fleshy Fruit
About: Plum is one of the healthiest fruits and most popular fruit in the summer season. It is a fleshy fruit which contains thin skin, 2 to 3 inches round shape and contains inner seeds. Plum fruits are similar to peach, and apricot fruits. Plum fruit comes in lots of varieties with different types of fruit colours. Most popular varieties are Plucots, Pluots, Greengage plums, Moyer plums, Red, Yellow plums, and Mirabelle plums. Dry plums are called prunus and are also known as common plums. In India, it is also known as “Aloo Bukhara”.
The scientific name of plum is Prunus domestica and it belongs to the Rosaceae family. After the maturity of a plant or tree, it grows up to 15 to 20 feet tall with 10 to 15 feet wide. Leaves are shiny green, elliptic in shape and evolve up to 4 inches with 2 inches broad.
Plum Seeds Propagation – Pot | Garden
Seeds Availability: Plum seeds are easily available in a local plant nursery or online shops like Amazon, Flipkart, Ugaoo…etc. Always buy raw seeds with germinating roots (if available). The starting price of a sprouted seed is Rs 100+ or you can take advantage by buying plum fruit and eating or removing the seed. The seeds are similar to peach seeds of similar size. Remove the seeds by breaking off the outer part. Put all the seeds into deep water for 4 to 5 hours only.
Prepare Soil: Make a good soil mixture for plant growth. Just take out the garden soil, NPK (10-10-10), bone meal, vermicompost, and 1 spoon of fungicide powder. Mix it well until the soil becomes well drained. Remove unwanted material and collect it in the container.
- Fill the soil mixture into the container.
- Take plum seeds and make small pits and keep the seeds in those pits.
- Cover seeds with the same soil potting.
- Give water properly and place the container in a partial shade location.
- Seeds start to germinate within a few days. After germination, you can place the container in morning sunlight (growth should improve).
Remember While Seedling: Container should have drainage holes for water drainage and put the small stones on those holes. USDA hardiness zones should be 3-8. While the germination period, don’t overwatering. For best growth, the container should be the ceramic type or in one container plant only 4 to 5 seeds only. Soil pH should be range from 5 to 7.
How to Manage Plum Tree at Home
- Fertilization: Fertilization is required to promote a tree’s growth. Lots of composts are available on the market as you know, but what is the right compost? So, gardenontop always prefers the best and most healthy compost. Plum trees need lots of nutrients like NPK 10-10-10, blood meal, and soya bean meal or you can also use Miracle-gro fertilizer. In mid-summer, winter, and early spring, you can add and fertilize all the plum trees or small plants.
- Sunlight or Humidity: The plum tree needs full sunlight or the smaller plum plant needs a shady spot. In outer zones above USDA 8, you need to maintain a temperature between 18°C to 30°C. above these temperatures, leaves start to burn and should not be recovered easily. In the winter time, if the temperature drops below 15 °C, you need to take a lot of care or you can use greenhouse plantings.
- Water Timing: Water twice a week in the summer season and once a week in the winter season. Over watering causes root rot disease, so do not over water. Check the moisture in the soil when watering.
- Pests & Disease: Excessive watering causes many diseases like root rot, fungus problems and other types of diseases. Therefore, make sure you are using fungicide powder while these types of diseases occur. If plants or trees are infested with any type of insect, always use insecticidal liquid with water and spray it all over the plants or trees.
- Cutting or Pinching: For best growth, pruning is the best way to promote plum trees. Prune the tree regularly. Don’t forget to cut off unwanted branches, weeds, withered flowers, dried leaves…etc. For best cutting, always use the cutting tools. Cutting tools are easily available in the market with starting price of 100+ rupees only. So, make your tree beautiful and attractive.
Top 5 Miracles or Benefits: Plum fruit have lots of benefits. We will go through only the top 5 benefits for your health.
- While eating plums, it improves your heart health.
- High in antioxidants.
- Improve your blood pressure and sugar level.
- Promote your bone health and vision.
- It makes your digestive system better.
Top 3 Uses of Plum Fruit: There are several uses for plum fruit and we will know the top 6 uses of plum fruit…
- Plums are widely used to make different types of cosmetic products like facewash, soaps, serums, creams…etc.
- Plum fruits are also used to make several types of shakes, juice, smoothies…etc.
- It is also used to make recipes such as jams, cakes, roasted duck and sauce.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions): Find your query and read within a minute and save your time to read the full post…
Take normal garden soil, some compost, and a container (read propagation section).
You need to follow these things, watering, composition, pruning, humidity…etc.
You just, need to take a large pot and make your soil media well drained (read prepare soil section).
There are lots of benefits while eating plum fruit (read benefit section).
Yes, it is important to repot all the plants. If plant sizes grow up to 1 feet tall.
Yes, but it will take lots of time for germination and not say, seeds germinate or not.
No, it is a similar price as peach fruits.
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and also subscribe to my newsletter for instant updates 🙂