How to Plant Durian Seeds at Home or landscape
Welcome to the GardenOnTop. In the whole post, we will know the all stages of Durian plants seeds to tree stages. Knowing all phases and some facts about durian fruits…
- About durian fruit
- How to germinate seeds at home
- Managing the whole life of durian tree at home
- Benefits of durian fruits
- Flowering & Fruiting Time
Durian – Popular Creepy Fruit
Durian fruit is one of the best exotic fruits and it comes with lots of benefits. It is also expensive and easily not available in fruit shops. Durian fruits are similar to jackfruit but slightly different between size, taste, and inner ingredients. Starting price of durian fruit is 150 INR per 250gm. You can buy it from online shops or nearby fruits shop (if available). Let’s explore a few things about durian fruits…
- Durian tree is a big tree in the family of Malvaceae family (also known as the mallow family). Malvaceae family contains 4000+ different types of species.
- The scientific name of the durian tree is Durio and belongs to the Malvaceae
- Mature size of the durian tree is 100 to 150+ feet tall with 50+ feet wide.
- Durian fruit grows up to 10 inches long with 5 to 6 inches wide, has an oval shape, and has many thorns in the outer covering.
- Flower occurs twice a year and blossoms are in 2 to 3 clumps.
Germination of Seedling at Home
Seeds Availability: Seeds are not easily available at local plant nurseries but you may find seeds at online stores like Flipkart, and Amazon. GardenOnTop prefers, to buy grafted durian plants or plants that should have few leaves and branches. Starting price of grafted plants is 399+ rupees per piece.
Preparing Soil & Ingredients: Good soil media is a very crucial part of plantation or seedling. For durian plant seeds you need to make well-drained soil media and for that, you need to follow the below steps…
- One flowerpot with good drainage holes.
- Normal garden soil + cocopeat + vermicompost (should be good quality).
- Mix it well until the soil becomes drained.
- Take the durian plants seeds and pit a small hole and put the seeds in those holes and cover it with the same soil potting (have more seeds make more pits).
- Pour water properly and place it in sunlight or bright light.
Important: Seeds may take lots of time for germination and you need to wait until seeds germinate. Easily propagate on these zones (hardiness zone) 10 to 12. While seedling, check your pot should be drainage holes and should place small grenades or stones in those holes.
Why Transplantation: Most of the gardeners have this query why transplantation? So, GardenOnTop has a beautiful answer let’s read…
- Transplantation is necessary because most of the roots are not germinate properly (due to the size of the pot).
- Repotting is not necessary while you have sown the seeds in big spaces like grounds or farms.
- Mulching is necessary while transplantation and adding some ingredients too.
- Use the same soil or should be in large quantities.
Manage Whole Life or Caring Tips
Water | Fertilization | Diseases | Pruning | Sunlight
Sometimes is very difficult to manage the whole life of plants or trees. So, don’t panic just you need to follow GardenOnTop caring tips. For durian plants, explore caring tips for the best results…
- Water Phases: Do not overwater as overwatering can lead to root rot or fungus problems. Watering is necessary, when the top layer of the soil becomes dry, then water it properly. Do not confuse, twice a week in summer or once a week in the wintertime.
- Fertilization or Composition: Most curious part is fertilization. Composition is done before the 45 days (after seedling). Best composition is easily available in the market or you can choose from these cow dung, vermicompost, bone meal, seaweed, or coco-peat. Bone meal or seaweed is optional or you can add it. Every 30 to 45 days, the composition is a must, or do some mulching.
- Diseases or Plague: Plague or disease is a common problem of every plant or tree. So, when these kinds of problems occur, don’t forget to spray insecticide or fungicide powder. There are many types of liquids available in online or offline plant shops. Do not use large amounts of powder or liquid.
- Pruning or Cutting: Over the years, durian tree growth stops or when you see, unwanted leaves like dry, withered flowers, or branches. So, that time we need to prune the plants or trees. Prune it and make your tree beautiful and attractive. For the best pruning, use cutting tools.
- Sunlight or Light: Keep all the plants in full sunlight or bright sunlight. At least 4 to 5 hours of sunlight is a must. When the heavy temperature rises to 40°C, don’t put the small plants in heavy temperature. Durian plants or trees need a temperature between 20°C to 35°C (best temperature).
Surprisingly Health Benefits of Fruit: Durian fruits contain many types of vitamins and minerals. Just you need to take 2 to 3 fruits in a week. Let’s explore the benefits…
- It controls your blood pressure.
- Good source for the skin like wrinkles or pigmentation.
- It feels like relaxation and good sleep.
- It is a good source of bone health and improves your bone quality.
- It boosts your energy and stamina.
- While eating durian fruit, improves your sperm alacrity.
Flowering & Fruiting Time: There are several stages of development of the durian plant. If you maintain properly then, fruiting starts on the plants within 4 to 5 years or maybe more years (it’s just depending on your caring). After successful flowering, small fruiting starts on the trees. Just you need to wait for harvesting maybe 7 to 8 years (It takes 6 to 8 years for the fruit to ripen properly).
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and also subscribe to my newsletter for the instant update 🙂