New Ways to Get Lots of Pumpkins at Home
Welcome to the GardenOnTop. In the post, we will learn all about the pumpkin plantation and knowing something new…
- About pumpkin
- Best ways for seedling and location
- How to manage to get lots of pumpkins
- Good time for harvesting
- Top 7 healthiest benefits
- Top 5 popular recipes
- CAQ (Common Asked Questions)
Pumpkin: Thanksgiving Food of Canada & USA
About Pumpkin: Pumpkin is one of the most popular vegetables in the whole world. It is widely used in the world. Pumpkins are round in shape with ribbed. The inner part of pumpkins is edible or contains seeds. The outer shell of pumpkins is thick or has many uses like making pickles, soups…etc.
- Leaves are dark green with grow up to 7 to 10 inches long with spread up to 6 inches wide.
- Seeds are creamy in colour or size and grow up to ½ inches long.
- Pumpkin vines grow up to 20 to 30 feet long with spread more. During the growing period, needs more space.
- The scientific name of pumpkins is Cucurbita pepo and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae
- Pumpkins are native to North America and it is the thanksgiving fruit of Canada or the USA.
- The weight of pumpkins varies between 3 to 8 kg and some species of pumpkin weight grow up to 30kg.
Plantation at Home
Best Ways for Seedling at Home: Seedling is the best way for planting because it is easily grown in any type of soil media. Seeds are easily germinated within 5 to 10 days. It will take more time in a plastic pot. For the best seedling, take a ceramic pot or choose a landscape. If your pumpkin seedling is at home then try with a large container. While seedling, you should be aware of tips and tricks…
- Purchase fresh and hybrid seeds from a trusted website or nearby nurseries.
- Make your soil with these components. Garden soil & best vermicompost. Mix it properly and fill it out in a ceramic container.
- Take your pumpkin seeds and dig small holes and put them one by one and cover them with the same soil mixture.
- Within 5 to 7 days, germination starts from the seed and a few leaves are appearance from the small vines.
- Give water properly and keep the container in bright sunlight.
How to Care Pumpkin Vines and Manage: While the growing season, it is difficult to manage pumpkin vines because they spread more or sometimes you need to put support by a wooden stick. So, don’t confuse let’s explore the best and easy tips…
- Watering Time: During the seedling periods, don’t add too much water. You need to check the moisture in the soil mixture. After successful germination, you need to repot the vines or change the pot size. During the transplantation, give water properly using a water spray tank. Always remember to keep the moisture in the soil.
- Composition Periods: Don’t add too much fertilizers. Add after 30 to 40 days. For pumpkin vines, buy cow dung manure, and vermicompost. Mix it well and pour it properly into all pumpkin vines. After composition, give water properly. Early winter is the best time for composition.
- Diseases or Insects: During the winter time, many types of insects like leaf bites, mealy bugs, and white bugs attack the vines. So, spray insecticide powder with adding water. If any types of diseases like root fungus, and root rot occur then give fungicide liquid with water.
- Pruning or Cutting: Prune pumpkin vines timely. Pruning enhances the growth of the vine or makes the vine appear fresher. Pruning is essential in December or January.
- Sunlight Timing: Pumpkin vine needs full sunlight. So, keep the vines in full sunlight. Keep away from heavy temperatures (above 35°C). The suitable temperature is 18°C to 30°C.
Good Time for Harvesting: The best time for harvesting is after maturity. Ripe size means when the pumpkins are in good shape and healthy looking or appear in shades of yellow. For matured size, you need to wait for 3 to 4 months (after seedlings). Pumpkin vines grow up to 30 to 50 feet long with a spread of 2 to 4 feet wide. The mature size of the pumpkin is below the image.
Top 7 Healthiest Benefits: Pumpkins have many benefits but we are exploring only the Top 7 healthiest benefits…
- Good source of vitamins E, A, C, iron and folate.
- Boost your energy and immunity.
- A good source for skin health (acne, dull skin, pimples…etc)
- Improves your vision level.
- Improves your blood pressure level.
- Reduce the risk of cancer.
- It improves your bone and heart health.
Note: Don’t add too much pumpkin to your diet plan or meal.
Top 5 Popular Recipes: There are several popular recipes but we are showing only the top 5 recipes. These recipes are easily made at your home. let’s explore…
- Pumpkins are also used to make different types of candies, pickles, papad, sweets, shakes and juices.
- Most of the items you can easily make your home like pumpkin pie, and puffins.
- Pumpkin soups and juice.
- Pumpkin’s parathas and risottos.
- Pumpkin chilli rolls or chips.
Note: Find your best recipes using pumpkins and try them at your home. Do comment, on which recipe you have tried at home.
CAQ (Common Asked Questions): Let us explore the CAQ which will solve your query within a minute and save your time…
Yes, you can.
Garden is the best choice for the seedling. Refer seedling section.
You need to be aware of the watering and composition. Add time to time but not too much. Refer managing section in the post.
One of the best places is online marketing. Need to purchase fresh seeds. How to check, if the seeds are fresh or not?
Early winter is the best time for the seedling.
Don’t harvest raw pumpkins until you need them. Try to wait until pumpkins appear yellow or need to wait until matured size.
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and also subscribe to my newsletter for instant updates 🙂