Crossandra Plants: Popular Way For Plantation
In this post, we will know about Crossandra flowering plants
- About crossandra plant
- How to plant seeds at home
- Best caring tips
- Flowering season
About Crossandra Flowering Plant: Crossandra plants are also known as firecracker flowering plants. Most of the verities are evergreen or perennial, like Mona wellhead and Lutea. Lutea verity gives golden flowers. Firecracker plants are native to Sri Lanka and Southern India, and it is easily grown in Southern India. Over time plants grow up to 2 to 4 feet.
Scientific name of crossandra is Crossandra infundibuliformis and it belongs to Acanthaceae family
How to Plant Seeds at Home: You can plant Crossandra at home by using seeds. Seeds are small and brown with the size of 10 to 12 mm long. You can purchase seeds online or offline store.
Prepare a Soil Potting & Planting: To make a good quality soil potting, take garden soil (40%), sand (30%), cocopeat (20%), and perlite (10%). Mix it well and remove all small pebbles and small stones. Take a large flowerpot (size should be 7 to 8 inches with a depth of 4 inches).
- Fill the soil mixture into the flowerpot.
- Press the soil mixture with your hand (removed soil air).
- Take out the seeds and Spray on the soil potting.
- Cover the seeds with a soil mixture.
- Give water properly and place the flowerpot in a semi-shaded area or indoor location.
Within 10 to 12 days, germination starts from the seeds, and tiny leaves appear from the seeds with one stem. Give water after germination of seeds but don’t overwater. If plants grow up to 3 to 6 inches, then it’s time to transplant them with a separate flowerpot.
Remember: USDA hardiness zone should be 8-11. In a flowerpot, make sure drainage holes are available or not. If there are no holes at the surface, then make 5 to 9 holes (Drainage holes are necessary). Cover the holes with a grenade or stones. Use a clay flowerpot. The distance between the seeds should be 1 to 2 inches.
Why we used cocopeat & perlite: Cocopeat is necessary because cocopeat holds the moisture in the soil, and perlite is used to grow the flowers blooming (large and healthy). Perlite is easily available in the nursery shop.
Transplantation: For transplantation, use the same soil mixture but also add peat moss (50gm).
- Remove out all plants from the old flowerpot and take 7-7 inches of the clay pot.
- Dig a hole (3 to 4 inches deep) and put the plants into those holes.
- Cover the rooting system with soil mixture.
- Give some water and place the plants in indoor or semi-shaded locations.
Best Caring Tips :
- Watering: Don’t overwater. While watering, check the top layer of soil potting; if the top layer of soil is dried, then give water properly. During the summer season, give water after 2 to 3 days.
- Temperature: During the summer season, don’t place the plants in full sunlight. Always place the plants in semi-shaded locations, and it gives the best result at 15°C to 25°C.
- Best Fertilizer: Before the growing season, give fertilizer properly. Cow dung and any organic compost are best for crossandra plants. After fertilization, give water immediately.
- Pests & Disease: If any insects and diseases occur in the plants, don’t forget to spray pesticide liquid or neem oil. Before spraying medicine on the plants, always read the instruction on treatment.
Flowering Season: After 4 to 5 months on the plantation, flowers start blooming on the plant, and these flowers are in many colours such as yellow, red, orange, and pink. Flower colours depend on the verities. Each flower has 3 to 4 petals with a heart shape. The Center part of flowers is different in colour, and over time, flowers grow up to 2 to 3 inches.
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and subscribe to my newsletter for the instant update 🙂
Amazing Flower Plants You Must Read 🙂
Choose Your Favourite Tag 🙂
air purifying plants almonds aloevera Bougainvillaea broccoli Cardamom carrot cauliflower Cultivation or farming Daisy flowering plant Dark green chilli Dry fruits Flower plants Fruit plants Gardening hacks Gardening ideas Genus tree Green chilli hanging plants health Indoor flowering plants latest plants latest posts Lilies onion Outdoor flowering plants pea peace lily peony perennial plants plantation ideas plants sacred tree Save Plants in rainy season spices spices and herbs summer flower caring summer flower plants Summer fruit plants sunflower tips and tricks tree vegetables vine winter flower plants