Litchi : How To Grow Seeds | Caring | Top 5 Benefits
Welcome to the GardenOnTop.com. In the post, we will know all details about the Litchi plant and some exciting benefits
- About Litchi
- How to grow litchi at home, garden, in fields
- How to take care of litchi plant at home
- Best time to harvest litchi
- Powerful benefits and uses of fruits
- Top 5 recipes of litchi
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Litchi (Lychee): Evergreen Fruit Tree
Scientific Information: Litchi is one of the widely selling fruit in the summer season. It is native to Guangdong, Fujian, and mostly in Southwest China. Litchi belongs to the soapberry family (Sapindaceae). This family contains 1800+ species and most common species like chestnuts, maples…etc. The origin of the Sapindaceae family belongs to Ullung island, Korea.
The scientific name of litchi is Litchi Chinensis. Litchi trees grow up to 30 feet tall & spread up to 20 feet wide. Leaves are large and broad in nature and grow up to 8 inches long with spread up to 2 inches wide.
How to Grow Litchi
Most appropriate method is by using air layering but we will use the seedling method. Remove the seeds from litchi fruits. Take out one container, normal garden soil (30%), rice husk (20%), vermicompost (30%), and fully decomposed cow dung (20%). Rice husk maintains the humidity in the plants and vermicompost maintains moisture. We are using cow dung as a fertilizer. Mingling it well. Let’s follow the steps for the awesome seedling.
- Fill the soil mixture into the container up to 70%.
- Take out the seeds and dig them (2-inch-deep) in the cylindrical shape.
- Cover the seeds with the same soil potting and give water properly.
- Place the container in a shady area.
Within a few days, the seeds begin to germinate and small raw leaves appear from the plants. If the plants grow to 3 to 5 inches tall, we need to transplant them into a separate pot.
Repotting the litchi plants: Soil media should be the same with the same quantity and the container should be large because the root of the litchi plant spreads more. Keep the container in full sunlight.
Remember: In one container (10*15 inch), plant only 2 to 3 seeds only. Container should have good drainage holes. You can use fungicide powder while watering (once a week). Soil pH ranges from 5.5 to 6.5 and doesn’t make your soil acidic. For the best growth, use a clay pot.
How to Care Litchi Tree
Before seedling, check your soil media soil should have good nutrients, and composts and soil mixture should be well-drained. For best growth, follow these tips…
- Watering: Before watering, check the soil moisture with your fingers. If there is moisture then do not water and if the soil becomes dry then water properly. Do not overwater (excessive watering leads to root rot disease and fungal disease).
- Composting: Regular composting is best the best way to boost your plant’s growth. Litchi is a fruit plant then, we need to give it full of nutrients, micro fertilizers like NPK, Banana peel, and home waste material fertilizers. These fertilizers are easily available at online stores or nearby plant nurseries or you can make them at your home. It is necessary to fertilize every 15 days or so in the growing season. How to make fertilizers using curd at home
- Diseases & Fungus: These are common problems for every plant. So, we need to be aware that there is a problem with diseases and fungi. If these illnesses occur then, we need to spray fungicide powder or insecticide powder.
- Pruning & Cutting: If the growth of the litchi plant stops, the plant needs pruning. Remove unwanted material like dried leaves, branches, heads, faded flowers…etc. Pruning is a necessary task for plant growth. Always use pruning tools. After cutting, collect unwanted materials and make the leaf mold compost. How to make leaf mold compost at home
Best Time to Harvest Litchi: Generally, you can harvest litchi after 4 months or after the ripening of litchi. The tree has produced a lot of litchis (50 to 70 kg), then harvest them properly.
Benefit of Litchi
Powerful Benefits: Litchi has several types of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidant properties. Let’s know the Top 8 Benefits and the best time for eating litchi
- Litchi contains anti-oxidant properties.
- It protects you against heart disease.
- Fight against cancer and diabetes.
- Improve your hair growth.
- Litchi Improves the digestion system.
- It boosts your energy, stamina, and immunity.
- A good source for skin-related problems like aging, and blemishes.
- Litchi prevents cataracts.
Uses of Litchi – Litchi are also used as canned litchi, it has several flavors and recipes. Litchi recipes like Litchi sorbet, Litchi shochutini, coconut and litchi crème caramel, prawn & litchi salad, and litchi daiquiri. How to make these recipes…
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions): This is an important section for every post because it saves time and gardener doubts. Let’s explore a few questions…
Yes, make your soil well-drained.
NPK, Banana peel, Mix it with seaweeds.
Feed proper fertilizers, water, and the plant should be under 30°C temperature.
Yes, before watering check the moisture in the soil.
By using insecticide power. Mix it with water (1 spoon with 10 liters of water).
After 4 to 5 months, you can harvest them or after ripening.
If you like this post don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and also subscribe to my newsletter for instant update 🙂