How to Grow Cherry at Terrace, Garden, Home | Caring Tips
Welcome to another post of GardenOnTop.com. In the post, we will know about the most popular and expensive fruit i.e., Cherry fruit plants and know amazing benefits.
- About cherry
- How to grow cherry at home, garden, and terrace
- Try these tips and tricks for caring
- Best time for harvesting cherry
- Costing and availability of cherry
- Awesome benefits of cherry
Cherry – Fruit Plant
Cherry – Everyone knows cherry is one of the most expensive and popular plants. Sweet cherry or cherry is one of the most beautiful and fruiting flowering plants in the family of Rosaceae. It is also known as wild cherry or Prunus avium (Scientific name). Ferrovia cherries, Hedelfinger sweet cherry, Buttnera Czerwona, and Bing cherry are widely popular and easily available in a fruit store. Cherry trees easily grow upto 3o to 80 Feet tall and spread upto 30 feet wide.
- Cherry is a flowering tree that grows upto 30 to 80 feet tall.
- Flowers are white and give a beautiful smell.
- Native to Western Asia, Anatolia, and Europe.
- Widely cultivated countries are North America and Australia.
- Fruits are sweet to sour in a test.
- Leaves of the cherry tree grow upto 3 to 5 inches long and 2 to 3 inches wide.
- Spring is the flowering time or you can collect them.
About Propagation of Cherry Seeds
You can plant cherry at home by two methods, Seeds and Air layering. In most cases, seeds take a long time to germinate because it depends on the region where you are live in (USDA hardiness zones). Mostly plant lovers buy grafted cherry plants. Grafted plants are easily available at online stores and nearby nurseries. Price may differ.
Tips: Buy grafted plants because grafted plants give fruit within a year or you can choose air layering.
Soil Preparation for Seedling: To make a well drain soil use these materials, normal garden soil (50%), Compost (30%), Sand (20%), and 50gm of fungicide powder (for root diseases). Mix it well until the soil becomes well-drained. Follow these steps to complete seedling.
- Seeds are inside the pods so you need to break pod (not hardly) and remove seeds properly.
- Keep the seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Take out the small flowerpot and fill it with soil mixture upto 70%.
- Dig a small hole and put the seeds in those holes and cover it with soil potting.
- Spray some water and keep it in full sunlight or polyhouses.
- Hardly seeds take 10 to 12 days for germination and keep it low moisture in soil and pot should be in full sunlight. If germination grows upto 4 to 5 inches then you will need to transplant them.
Remember: Flowerpot should have good drainage holes, if not then make good drainage holes. The clay pot is the best pot for good germination. USDA hardiness zone 3 to 6.
Transplantation: Germinated Plants and Grafted Plants: While transplantation, pot size should be large with drainage holes otherwise you will need to repot again and again. Garden soil (50%) and compost (50%) mix it well and follow the above steps. Keep it in full sunlight for at least 5 to 6 hours. Maintain moisture in the summer season and follow Caring Tips for the awesome result.
Costing and Availability of Cherry: Cost of grafted plants are minimal like 399+ rupees and sometimes it depends on the size of grafted plants. You can find easily its nearby plant nurseries and online website (Flipkart, Amazon, Ugaau…etc).
Top 5 Caring Tips for Cherry Plants
- Use Best and Suitable Compost: Cow dung, vermicompost, kitchen waste materials, you can use in cherry plants. Composting time is every 45 days you can add 2 to 3 layers of this compost. Watering is necessary after composting.
- Maintain Temperature & Humidity: Every season, keep the plants in full sunlight. If the temperature rises above 30°C then place the plants in a semi-shade location.
- Pruning for Growth: Pruning is a more important task for each and all plants or trees. Before the springtime pruning is necessary and removes the weeds.
- Prevent from Ailments (Diseases): Use the fungicide or pesticide powder if any types of diseases have occurred on the plants. Click here to know more about fungicide or pesticide
- Best Time for Watering: If soil is dried then give water (any season). Avoid overwatering.
Flowering Time & Best Time to Harvest Cherry: In the spring months blooming starts on the cherry plants along with small cherries. Flowers are white with lots of stamens (anther are yellow colour with white filaments are white). Each flower has 4 to 5 petals with slightly heart shapes. Sepals are dark green with purple colour. Flowers gives you a pleasant smell. If you are belonging with seedling then it will take 3 to 4 years for fruiting and grafted plants to give you result within 15 months.
Top 6 Benefits of Cherry: You don’t know these benefits of Cherry plants.
- It contains antioxidants properties.
- Improves your energy and boost up your stamina.
- Cherry is one of the best to improve heart diseases.
- You should take a good sleeping
- Good for weight loss.
- Improve skin health because it contains anti-ageing properties.
Tips: You can add cherry (4 to 5) to your diet plant. Best time for taking cherry with breakfast otherwise you can eat anytime.
Hey, Did you like this post? please don’t forget to share it with your friends and relatives and also subscribe to my newsletter for instant update 🙂